Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Pecans...

Many years ago, I learned how to make the simplest things- spiced pecans.  5 ingredients:  pecans, egg whites, sugar, salt and cinnamon- that is all there is to them.  Bake them slowly and turn them often...delicious. Over the years, I have shared these with a few friends that have come to love them and I have come to enjoy making them for them.  It is my way of expressing love to them in a very tangible way.   If I make these for you...you are special indeed.

I have always loved showing love to my family through food.  With Ryan, it is yellow cake with chocolate frosting.  For Kyle, it is green box spaghetti and purple hull peas.  K'Lynn- she loves chicken and rice.  Hannah's favorite would probably be....well, I am not even sure.  She and I love food together, so there are several things that she would feel loved by.  Probably anything from the Pioneer Woman cookbook...like Macaroni and Cheese or Blackberry Cobbler. OR actually it would be Caramel French Toast.  Yeah...that's it.  For my father in law, I make him breakfast casserole every time we go to visit.  It is so much easier to cook for some people to say "I love you and I value you" than it is to just say the words.  Memories are built into each bite.  The smells, the taste, the texture...all part of it.  I don't mind the idea of being remembered fondly either!

So, I made pecans this week for my sweet friends.  They are going through a hard time in several ways.  I miss them.  I wanted to show them support.  This morning, 2 1# bags were mailed out to their home.  A little hug from Anderson to their zip code.  Hope it helps in some small way.  Pecans and prayers.  That's all I have to offer right now.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment