Popular Posts

Friday, March 20, 2015

The gift...

Have you ever been given a gift, but didn't recognize it at the time as that?  This has happened to me and I am really only seeing it this way now- years later.

My history with my dad is well doumented.   We have not had  a good relationship, well, ever I guess.  I have blogged about how he didn't want to see us come to Anderson because it was a 'dead end town' and that he felt it was a poor choice.  When my mom moved in with me, he stayed in Queen City.  I felt like we were a safe distance away and that maybe we wouldn't have to deal with him for a while.  My brother was right there.  I had mom- he could handle dad, right?  You would have thought so.  Somehow that really never worked out and dad had one health crisis after another.  A heart attatck, a stroke, a broken hip, a move to the nursing home...the hits kept on coming.

When dad moved to the nursing home in Texarkana, he was there for quite a while.  Several months I guess.  He had more health issues, ended up in the hospital again, just almost died, and I began to question how much my brother was looking after my dad.  At the time, I was very judgemental of that.  I could not understand why he never seemed to find time to check on dad.  Even now I still don't, although I do get it a little more than I did then.

When mom had been here 2 years, she was finally ready.  I had been asking her if Dad might be able to be moved to Navasota, less than 10 miles from us.  At first, she said no.  She was scared he would pressure her or expect too much of her.  Over time, though, she realized my brother was not checking on him at all and that he was all alone there.  In March, 2013, she had him moved.   He adjusted pretty quickly to his room, the roommate he had (still has), the nurses, the routine...everything.  He has done really well.  His health has improved 1000%  His attitude has as well.  He is close enough that my sister can come see him.  My brother has been here I think twice.
 ((( Whatever...that is another whole blog post that we're not addressing today.  )))

So, here is the gift part.  My relationship with my dad is so much better today than it has ever been.  I sat at his bedside yesterday for about an hour and actually enjoyed the time.  He had been told that he would be getting a wheelchair soon.  He has not had one up until now- long story, but true.  I mentioned to him that once he had this, he would be able to come to our house and even to see our church.  He said "You know, I think my letter is at First Baptist Queen City.  I think I would like to become a member of y'all's church."....  floored me.  Not sure that this will ever happen.  Not sure I will be able to handle it if it does.  Recognizing this as this gift that it is.  Thankful.  Be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment