Popular Posts

Monday, January 27, 2014

Meeting Dawn...



I have been at the pastor's conference in Jacksonville, Florida with our whole church staff.  Kim (dayschool and preschool), Andrew (youth), Candyce (children), Taylor (brand new music minister), Kyle (pastor/my hubby), and myself...together from Wednesday until sometime tonight when we finally get home.  6 days that went really well.  Yesterday, Candyce and I decided that we would get our nails done after we all ate lunch, since there was some down time during the schedule at the pastor's conference.  I should say that I usually don't have ever my nails done anymore.  Candyce wanted a pedicure and  I just wanted shellac.  Spur of the moment plan that seemed simple enough.

The rest of the group went to REI,  and some sporting goods store as they waited for us. Candyce and I walked in and let the lady at the front know what we wanted.  Everyone seemed friendly, they got us seated pretty quickly, and we both waited for our nail technicians to begin working on us.  Candyce was in a pedicure  chair and her young lady arrived first.  I was apparently waiting for a lady at the next table.  She was putting bright yellow polish on the nails of a girl that walked in about the same time.  I was not in a hurry, since I knew mine would take less time.  I tried to play on my phone, but it was basically dead.  Guess that eliminates that option as a time killer.  Eventually, the girl beside me was all painted up and it was my turn.

Dawn, as I came to know her, was a very pretty 60ish lady originally from Vietnam.  She put my hands in some very odd heating pad / glove things and gathered her supplies.  She and I talked, as I try to do when in this type of situation, about the shape I wanted my nails, the weather, and where I was from.  She got really excited when I told her "From Texas, near Houston".  Turned out, she used to live in Texas, Houston area too.  She named many places that were familiar to me.  She and her then husband (now  gone for 7 years) would go into an area, open and establish a nail shop,  and then sell it for a profit.  They had stores in the Woodlands, Sugarland, Cypress, La Grange, Athens...lots of places.  She said that she missed her husband and that her life had changed a lot since he had passed away.  She spoke English pretty well, understood it pretty well too.  She asked me if I had children, and I explained that I did.  She asked why I was in Florida and I told her that too.  I told her that I was not a pastor, but that my husband was.  I do this when I don't know the other person's background.  Some churches may  have this, but I don't want anyone to think I am one.  I am not called to be a minister, nor am I gifted to be one.  As soon as I told her that my husband was a pastor, she got excited again.  She reached out and touched my arm, asking "Oh, are you Baptist????"  Yes..."Oh, I am too!! AND I LOVE THE LORD AND JESUS!!!"  Her response was soooo refreshing.  When is the last time anyone said that to you?  Never would be my answer.  I knew I was going to like this lady.

We began to share information and experiences. She talked about her faith in very simple but very sincere terms.   She told me about how thankful she was every day that Jesus was her saviour.  She told me about her son, Vin, and how he is not a believer.  "He knows about Jesus, but he does not live for Him or have Him in his heart" she said.  I told her I would agree with her in prayer that this would go from "head" knowledge to "heart" knowledge.  She told me that her husband had become a believer before he died.  She knows she will see him again, although she misses him so much today.  She told me how she used to seek after money and more money when they were opening so many stores and selling them.  She said that now she knows that this world is not her home and that this life is temporary.  She does not desire the things of this world anymore.  I asked her if she owned the store we were in.  She said, "No...I just work now.  I want to have time to be with my family and to study my bible.".  "Besides, she said...what do I need that stress for?  My peace and hope is in my Jesus."   Wow...

At some point, she looked me in the eye and said, "God sent you to me today, I just know it!"  I was very humbled by this. While I know it is true that God has me cross paths with many people in any given day, no one has ever said that to me before.

Pretty soon, Candyce and I were both done.  My bill was small and I had extra cash which I felt compelled to leave Dawn as a tip.    The young lady that did Candyce's nails brought her to the front and showed Candyce's little pregnant belly off to the apparent manager of the salon.  "Doesn't she just have the cutest little pregnant tummy?" and both agreed.  I said, "That is baby Allie...we prayed for her for a long time!"  Candyce said "Yes, that is so true, I had multiple miscarriages before finally being able to carry this baby".  The manager said something that I remember well- "When you trust and ask Jesus for the things you want, He will give them to you".  Not prosperity gospel, but it reminded me of the verse in Psalm 37:4 that says "Delight yourself in The Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart".  Candyce told her that this was true for her and that this seemed to work out when she committed her life to The Lord fully.

I gave Dawn a hug as we left the nail salon.  "I will see you again someday" I told her as I walked out.  Made me think of that old saying "I'll see you here, there, or in the air" referring to the rapture.  Not sure how long that will be, but I know I will see her again.  Thankful for this brief encounter with another sister in Christ.  AND my nails look awesome!  Be blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment