Popular Posts

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Sibling rivalry

Think siblings have to be born from the same womb to have a rivalry?  I assure you this is not a requirement.  Let me explain...

Lucy has lived here for the past 22 months or so.  She has slept in my bed almost every night in those almost two years.  She eats from my plate, kisses me on the face, and protects me no matter what.  She has had one brother in her life and one sister.  Lucky was her 'brother' and Ryan's dog Macks is her 'sister'.  With Lucky's passing in June and Mack's departure earlier this week,  Lucy was alone.  I detailed this history in my last entry, so I won't totally rehash it.  God provided a partener for her yesterday named Cooper.  This is where the rivalry begins...

The first few hours, they got along well.  Last night, Cooper slept in Hannah's room- in her bed actually.  Lucy maintained her usual place in my bed and life was pretty normal.  This morning at 4:30, she could wait no longer.  She got me up and led me straight to Hannah's door.  She wanted to see Cooper.

They played together today, inside the house and out in the yard.  They ran, they fought, they rolled, they wrestled.  They had a great day.  When I got home tonight, the rivalry was more apparent.  Cooper couldn't get near me without Lucy sticking her body in the middle of it.  Cooper couldn't go to sit with Grandma unless Lucy did.  Cooper wanted to be somewhere, but Lucy decided she needed to be there more.  Such a typical little sister!!  Funny thing is, she is not a little sister.   She is older and has been here longer.  She could ease his transition and make him feel at home, but she will not.  It is  in her nature to not allow him to take any postition that she might have ever had or might ever want.  Selfish!

You know, we are all a little like Lucy if we are honest.   A little jealous of the new puppy, worried someone else might take our place in the world.   This rivalry between us and other sometimes leads to problems.   If Lucy were more confident in her relationship with me, she would come to realize that she will always be my first born (bought) puppy.   She will always be my puppy girl!  She has nothing to be intimidated by!  I love Cooper too, but not more.  Hope we can work out this thing between these two soon!! Until then, I am glad to play referee between the two.  Thankful they are both here!

1 comment:

  1. They will figure out their rhythm and place...I think this is so cute...

    ReplyDelete