Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Seeking Financial Peace....

We started Financial Peace University three weeks ago at our church.  We have about 50 people going through this journey together.  We are all using new terms and thinking differently about every penny we spend.  We are all trying to make better choices and change the futures of our families one dollar at a time.  For our family, we have spent the past 27 years trying to live out the American dream.  We have tried to keep up with the Joneses, tried to provide the kids with everything they needed and wanted, tried to keep our heads above water, and just tried to survive.    No more... now, with a purpose!

Budget committee meetings are now part of our week.  We pass out 'commission' to ourselves and try to make that last through the week.  We discuss all purchases, we talk about "if" we should eat out- not just where, and we don't just buy clothes and goodies any old time we want to.  Not living deprived, just living intentionally.  Thinking harder about each thing I buy is normal now.  Wondering "Do I already have this somewhere at home?" or "What other item do I have or could I get more cheaply to accomplish the same end?" are part of the equation.  Homemade Febreeze, homemade laundry detergent, using vinegar a lot and other ways to save are the norm instead of 200 bottles of various other things.  It is do-able!

I never want my kids to be where I have been financially.  I want them to make good choices.  I want them not to struggle.  I want them to prepare better to have children someday than we did.  To be fair,  8 months was not enough time to prepare way back then!  God saw us through it then and always has.  For now, we are going to 'live like no one else so that later we can live like no  one else!".  

No comments:

Post a Comment